Wrongful Death

If you lost a close family member and his or her death was caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be able to seek financial compensation for the losses that you have suffered and will suffer as a result. This is also true if the death was caused by someone else’s intentional or reckless act. While no amount of money can make up for the trauma of a loved one’s wrongful death, the law recognizes that economic consequences follow such a loss, too, and puts the weight of those consequences on those who are legally responsible for the death.

Wrongful death claims may come up in a variety of situations, including cases of medical malpractice, car accidents, slip-and-fall incidents, construction site accidents, or exposure to hazardous materials.

In such circumstances, the surviving relatives may pursue compensation for their relative’s medical and funeral expenses, his or her lost wages and benefits, as well as the value of services that the decedent would have provided—such as household help, protection, or training. Although it is more difficult to place a monetary value on intangibles like love, companionship, or moral support, the survivors may seek compensation for the loss of those benefits, as well.

In addition, the decedent’s estate may pursue compensation for any pain and suffering that the person felt before his or her death. And, if the actions or inaction that led to their loved one’s death were particularly blameworthy, the surviving relatives may seek punitive damages—an additional payment intended to punish the wrongdoer and to act as a deterrent to similar conduct.

If you have lost a loved one and you are considering filing a wrongful death case, the experienced New York attorneys at Ronai & Ronai LLP would welcome the opportunity to talk with you and discuss how we can help. We will work hard to protect your interests and get you timely results.

For a free initial consultation, please call Ronai & Ronai LLP today at 1-800-664-7111, or fill out and submit our online “Contact Us” form.